Caviar Cheat Sheet
Author: Lauren Hunsberger | Posted In: Eat | April 2022
Crepes with Red Caviar and Sour Cream
- 2 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup milk (whole, low-fat or nonfat)
- Butter or margarine to grease the pan
- Beat the eggs well and combine with the salt and flour. Mix to a creamy consistency. Add the milk gradually and mix until smooth. If lumps remain, strain after mixing.
- Set mixture aside, or refrigerate. (May be prepared one to two days in advance and kept in the refrigerator until ready to use. Return mixture to room temperature and mix well before making blini.)
- To prepare the blini, grease a 6-inch skillet. Heat skillet over medium-high. Scoop about three tablespoons of the batter into a ladle or pitcher and add to the skillet. Tilt and rotate the skillet so the batter is lightly and evenly spread over the bottom of the pan.
- Heat until the edges start browning and come away from the pan easily and the top is set and dry. Turn the blini onto a towel, uncooked side down.
- Repeat process to cook more blini, lightly re-greasing the skillet every two to three blini. Add milk if the mixture seems too thick.
- To serve, arrange warm blini on a tray lined with a starched linen napkin. Put a small dollop of sour cream in the center of each, then place a few grains of caviar atop the sour cream.