DIY Beauty: Take Beauty into Your Own Kitchen
Author: Courtney Swinger | Posted In: Live | February 2018
Peppermint and Thyme Foot Scrub
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup almond oil
- 4 to 5 drops peppermint essential oil
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- Process: In a medium bowl, add the sugar. Drizzle in the almond oil (you can use coconut or avocado oil as well), and mix together. Add the essential oil and the thyme. The final product should be a grainy scrub and does not need to set before use.
- Verdict: The ingredients were easy to find and most were already in my kitchen. In addition, the process from start to finish took less than five minutes and cleanup was easy. However, the best part was the cooling effect and aroma of the peppermint and thyme. The almond oil added just the perfect hint of sweet and soft to leave your feet feeling royal.
Coconut Oil and Honey Hair Mask
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- Process: In a medium bowl, stir together all three ingredients. Apply to wet or dry hair and then sit for 30 minutes. Wash hair.
- Verdict: There are many variations out there for this type of hair mask. However, I personally wouldn’t use a recipe with apple cider vinegar again. I couldn’t stand the smell of the apple cider vinegar and decided to rinse it out after just 15 minutes. I also had to shampoo my hair a few times to get the excess oil out. Bottom line, I’m still on the hunt for a perfect hair mask. But if you don’t mind the smell of ACV, the coconut oil does seem to moisturize hair—maybe too well.
Sugar Lip Scrub
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Process: In a small bowl, start by combining the brown and white sugar. Then add in the olive oil and honey while stirring.
- Verdict: The lip scrub was my favorite of all three. It was effective in removing dry skin, revealing fresh layers, and leaving lips feeling smooth, soft and kissable. It was the easiest and best-smelling lip scrub I’ve ever used!