Eat For Radiance
Author: Kelli Terpsma | Posted In: Eat | February 2020
Restorative Rainbow Lasagna
- 12 Lasagna Noodles
- 1 tbsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 15 oz. Ricotta Cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 lb, 8 oz. Jar of Tomato Sauce
- 3/4 cup Red Lentils
- 1 1/4 cup Vegetable Stock
- 1/2 Large White Onion
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 1/2 Yellow Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 Large Carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cup Spinach, chopped
- 2 cups Mushrooms
- 1 Chinese Egglpant, diced
- Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions and keep in a bowl of cold water until the lasagna is ready to be assembled. In a small container, combine the Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. This will serve as the seasoning for the various parts of the lasagna. Then, prepare the vegetables as described in the ingredients list. Reserve a quarter cup of tomato sauce and set aside.
- In a small pot, bring the vegetable broth to a boil. Then, add the lentils, half a cup of diced onion, and one clove of garlic to the pot. Season with one teaspoon of the seasoning mixture, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes, or until the lentils have absorbed all the broth and developed a thick, paste-like texture. Transfer to a small bowl to cool. In a medium-sized saucepan, add the mushrooms to half a tablespoon of olive oil and sauté for six minutes. Add the spinach and one clove of garlic. Cook for two minutes and then transfer to a small bowl.
- Return the pan to the stove, season the eggplant with one teaspoon of the seasoning mixture and sauté in one tablespoon of olive oil for about 15 minutes, or until cooked through. By now, the lentils and mushrooms should be fairly cool, and you can proceed by dividing the ricotta cheese in half between them. Mix both until the cheese is well incorporated.
- Finally, using the same pan that you used earlier, sauté the bell pepper, carrots and remaining onions in half a tablespoon of olive oil for eight minutes. Add one glove of garlic and cook an additional two minutes before pouring in the jar of tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, season with another teaspoon of the seasoning mixture, salt and pepper to taste, and turn off heat. Note: Be careful not to over-salt your sauce as the cheese will lend a salty flavor to the dish as well.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F, and then coat the bottom of a 12x16 baking dish with the reserved quarter cup of tomato sauce. Layer the bottom of the dish with four overlapping lasagna noodles. On top of the noodles, spread the ricotta and lentil mixture in an even layer and top with half of the tomato, bell pepper, and onion sauce. Layer another four overlapping noodles on top of the sauce and top with the mushroom ricotta cheese mixture. Spread the eggplant on top and layer with the last four noodles. Top the lasagna with the remaining tomato sauce and finish it by sprinkling on an even layer of the mozzarella. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes. Then, remove the foil and bake an additional 10 minutes. Cool for at least 20 minutes before serving.