Eat the Rainbow: Food-Based Crafts for Kids!
Posted In: Eat | August 2018
Banana Berry Green Smoothie Popsicles
Adapted from Bellevue Club's Luna Express Smoothies
- 10 ounces pomegranate juice
- handful of spinach
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup mixed berries
- Pick a smoothie and mix ingredients in a blender until smooth.
- Pour the smoothies into the mold of your choice, whether it’s a cup, ice cube tray or popsicle mold. Remember liquids expand when frozen, so be sure to fill the mold only three-quarters of the way.
- To ensure the sticks are straight, freeze the popsicles for about 30 minutes before adding the sticks. Push the sticks in about an inch away from the bottom of the mold. Place the popsicles back in the freezer until they are solid. Enjoy!
Use local Washington berries for a fun dessert
- 1 whole watermelon
- 3 cups Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 12 strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- coconut shavings
- chopped mint leaves
- chocolate sauce
- Cut the watermelon in half. Measure and cut half-inch slices. This will be the base for your pizza.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the yogurt, vanilla extract and honey. Spread the yogurt mixture onto the slice of watermelon until it is mostly covered, like tomato sauce on pizza dough.
- Slice the strawberries and place them on top of the yogurt, then add the blueberries. Sprinkle on the coconut shavings and mint and drizzle with chocolate. Carefully cut the fruit pizza into slices and enjoy!
DIY Food Groups Collage
Learn the 5 main food groups with this craft
- Old magazines
- A big piece of construction paper
- A marker
- Glue sticks
- Kid-friendly scissors
- On a big piece of construction paper, draw a big circle.
- Divide the circle into five sections, and label one for each food group (grains, vegetables and fruits, proteins, dairy, and fats and oils).
- Look through magazines to find images of healthy foods and carefully cut them out.
- Glue the images of food in their designated section on the chart.
- Hang the chart on the refrigerator to promote a balanced diet every day!