Your New Favorite Grain: Fonio
Author: Lauren Hunsberger | Posted In: Eat | November 2020
Fonio Bowl Basics
Cook Time: 13 Minutes
- 1 Cup Fonio
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 tsp. Avocado or Coconut Oil
- Pinch Salt
- In a small saucepot over medium-high heat, bring 1 cup of water with salt to a boil.
- Add the fonio and oil, and cook for three minutes. Turn off the heat.
- Let rest for five to 10 minutes, and then fluff with a fork.
- (Optional) Savory Add-Ons: Roasted root vegetables (carrots, potatoes, turnips, beets), sautéed spinach, kale or collard greens, fried or poached egg, sautéed mushrooms, feta or goat cheese
- (Optional) Sweet Add-Ons: Coconut shavings, fresh fruit (blueberries, raspberries, cherries, pomegranate seeds), crushed almonds, walnuts, dash of cinnamon, maple syrup glaze